A pre-purchase building inspection is advisable for all properties, but essential for homes that may be at risk of leaking or have been damaged by a natural disaster.
If the property:
- has any potential signs of leaking, engage an experienced building expert with weathertightness expertise to inspect it
- has any obvious weathertightness risks, ask the building expert to report specifically on this
- is an apartment or in a townhouse complex, ensure the whole complex is inspected for weathertightness and not just the unit you are interested in. If other parts of the complex are leaking then you will be liable for a share of their repair, even if your own unit is weathertight.
The following groups can help you find a qualified building expert with weathertightness expertise in your area:
- New Zealand Institute of Building Surveyors
- New Zealand Institute of Architects